When thinking of putting an oil based product on your skin, face or even in your hair, we tend to freak out and feel disgusted and afraid of it leaving an oily residue as other oil based products. Well think again because countless experts swear by it.
A few years back whilst doing research for natural remedies for my own hair, I strolled upon a few article on coconut oil and how this natural oil ,an do wonders for your hair. So I gave it a try and even though its a bit messy when applying it to your hair, it left my hair shiny and softer than its ever been. I have a mop of long brown hair and for years I have been trying all the fancy new products that come out, I must tell you nothing compared to coconut oil.
I find doing a hot coconut oil treatment once a week is sufficient to leaving your hair silky smooth and healthy.
Tip: We all have lazy Sundays. This is when I choose to do my hair treatments, when I’m home watching movies I have my hair treatment left on my hair up for few hours.
I mostly use coconut oil for hair treatments, so I find it worth my money to buy a 1 kg tub of coconut oil at my nearest organic grocery store.
1. I bought a cheap plastic squeeze bottle from my nearest plastics store.
2. My hair is medium to long in length, so it passes just past my bra strap. I would recommend about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into the plastic bottle.
3. Boil your kettle and pour a bit of water into a deep bowl place your plastic bottle into the bowl of hot water to melt the coconut oil until its in a liquid form.
4. Place a towel around your shoulders and start parting your hair using clips and start off with applying coconut oil to your roots then working to the ends of your hair. Massage your scalp so you can get blood flowing in your scalp which helps with hair growth.
5. When your whole head is saturated in coconut oil. Clip up into a bun and cover with a towel. After an hour or so, start blow drying the towel until the towel is warm.
6. Wash out the coconut oil and once dry feel how soft your hair will be.
Try doing this treatment religiously for a couple of months and you will see remarkable results.
Other benefits if coconut oil:
1. Hand moisturizer – all you need is a small scoop to rub into your skin, leaves no oily residue. Lovey stuff!
2. As a cheeckbone highlighter – after applying your make up, use small amounts over the areas that you would like to highlight. Leave as is. Other than that you can make your own pigmented highlighter by putting coconut oil in a smallish container and scrapping some light shimmering eye-shadow and you got yourself a D.I.Y highlighter.
3.To shave your legs – we all well aware of how expensive these shaving creams can be, so why not use coconut oil. Its a natural remedy that’s inexpensive and leaves your skin smooth and moisturise, not at all greasy.
4. To remove eye make up – yes coconut oil even works on waterproof mascara, put abit on a cotton ball and remove make up especially co centrating on your waterline areas. When done, simply wash your face as usual.
5. As a body moisturizer – studies show that applying coconut oil to your skin reduces water loss in very dry skin and speeds up wound healing. It’s health – experts favorites and now mine too.
6. To clean your face – coconut oil is a natural antibacterial, antifungal and moisturizing. Most women swear by it for a night cream moisturizer.
7. D.I.Y in a lucious body scrub – melt 1/2 a cup of coconut oil at very low heat, pour it over 1 c of brown sugar or salt and stir well. Add in five drops of your favorite essential oil or some pure vanilla extract for a scrub so fragrant you will want to eat it.
Try these out and enjoy!