My nightmare – contraceptive pill


Here is a Lil history about myself, I can use my experience to help other ladies and create awareness. 2 years back I went to my gynecologist to be put on a contraceptive pill (Jasmine), for the first time in my life ever. The dr Jst handed over a script and no blood test were taken, which seemed odd to me. So after the appointment I headed off to the pharmacy and got these pills and started taking them orally as required.

Over the next month I was feeling extremely tired 😴. I didn’t think much of it at the time. So Jst slept abit more then usual. I was almost finished my first month of my pill, but not quite yet. I woke up one morning to a ache under my right heel, felt as if I sprained it but don’t remember hurting myself. So off I went to my Gp and he just gave me a voltaren injection. Literally 2 days later that pain went up my calf and I knew something was up but wasn’t sure so I said to myself that maybe the Gp I had attended didn’t know what he was doing so I decided to see a different Gp for a second opinion. As I began to explain my symptoms to the 2nd Dr, he said it could be my bone and sent me off for x-ray, which I knew wasn’t the case because I know my body, all I knew was something was wrong. Off I went to a hospital the next day to get my x rays done and reported back to the Dr and to my prevail the x rays came back with no problems with my bones. The dr then referred me to a podiatrist, which I could only get an appointment the following Monday.

Over the weekend wait, the pain progressed up to my groin and the swelling around my ankle was really bad. I was taking pain pills but nothing helped. I started getting night sweats and fevers and really pale. I remember my sister seeing me the one day and saying that the colour of my face matched the off yellow colour top I had on that day. I was then sleeping with 3  or 4 pillows under my leg to eliviate the pain and eventually not able to walk on my leg and then using crutches. At this point I knew something was terribly wrong, that this all progressed and worsened only over a few days.

My sister offered for me to stay by her over the weekend to help me and look after me. At this point I could not do anything, barely get to the bathroom when needed. I was dizzy, and the excruciating pain I experienced when standing up and all the blood rushed to my ankle. I then told my sister to drive to the hospital so I can do the x rays. I couldn’t wait until Monday. Due to it been a Saturday they said I would get charged over and above my medical rates because I was not referred by my Dr and it’s weekend. Went home and had to just bare with the pain the best way I could.

Monday comes and off I go to the podiatris and the dr exams my leg and sends me down to the department for a scan to be done. Let me just tell you it was a day from hell, the nurse began to scan and after a minute or so she stops and walks out the room, next minute the dr in charge of the scan department walk in and starts scanning my leg whilst the nurse is standing next to him. Panic starts to set in. Then they reveal that I have a blood clot in my right calve.

I return to the podiatrist and phones a Dr to get me admitted into hospital immediately. So off I go and im at the reception to try get myself admitted and this receptionist decided is was a good idea to hand over a clip board to me to fill in paperwork. I’m standing there with crutches and in immense pain not been able to even make it to the seating area without dropping the clip board. All she does I’d stare at me and does not help me.

I was in hospital for a week and half trying to get my in to the 2.0 and been pumped with blood thinning medication. My life changed there and then. I was feeling a sense of anger towards my gynecologist for not taking bloods and seeing of that birth Control pill was compatible for my body. Now I sit with this condition in result of the pill. I had to be on waferin and change my diet, go in for blood tests once a week. This was all new to me, had to learn alot about my condition. So I did as I was told, changed my diet and took my waferin as required but every week my INR results where always fluctuating. The one morning I went in to do bloods and the nurse was so rude to me saying I’m not doing this right. I left there and driving on my way to work I burst into tears. I felt so frustrated and angry because that nurse has no idea what I have been through and has not walked in my shoes but was quick to judge.

O started feeling depressed because the blood tests once a week was interfering with me getting to work on time. I was tired of taking pills and taking bloods test and trying to be strict with a diet which was very limited and finally having to put up with rude nurses. My hair did not want to grow, I kept getting nose bleeds and headaches from the high waferin dosage I was put on and having to wear medical stockings everyday (extremely uncomfortable).

A year went by and eventually I went to a gp and he said I could go off the waferin, I was so excited that day. As I walked out the dds rooms all the colours outside seemed brighter and more beautiful than ever before.

Hope this give hope and encouragement to other girls and women out there dealing with what I went through. A year later my hair has grown, my leg doesn’t swell up as often, I can eat a variety of foods and donate blood again as I did before. I do not wish this to happen to my worse enemy.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s